The Scottish Government’s delayed consultation on the Human Rights Bill has finally been published. The Bill aims to bring our international human rights directly into Scots law. We know that independent advocacy is vital for making rights real for people and can be especially important for people that face barriers to realising their rights.
SIAA will work with members and groups across civil society to provide a consultation response that offers clarity on what independent advocacy is, how it works and its importance in the context of human rights as well as makes clear asks of the Scottish Government about rights to independent advocacy and duties on public bodies to provide it. There are lots of ways to share your views on the consultation, so your views will be included in responses from civil society. We have listed various events from Scottish Government and HRCS as well as the SIAA roundtable below.
SIAA are keen to discuss the opportunities for independent advocacy that this consultation brings with members. To join in the discussions, you can sign up for the SIAA members roundtable to discuss the Human Rights Bill consultation on Wednesday 2 August 2023, 3-4.30pm.
Scottish Government Human Rights Bill Consultation Events
During the consultation Scottish Government will be running a series of public events across Scotland to allow individuals and communities to come along to share their views and inform the Human Rights Bill.
The events are free of charge but in order to book your place you must do so by clicking on the Eventbrite link below and provide details of each individual attendee. All tickets should then be clearly displayed upon arrival on the day of the event.
1) Online Event – 27/07/2023
2) Dumfries – 15/08/2023
3) Glasgow – 22/08/2023
4) Inverness – 28/08/2023
5) Online Event – 05/09/2023
6) Portree – 11/09/2023
7) Dundee – 19/09/2023
If you have any accessibility requirements for any of the events please notify HumanRightsOffice@gov.scot as soon as possible.
It’s All Rights Event Series
Join one of Human Rights Consortium Scotland’s ‘It’s All Rights’ events to find out why the consultation matters to you, and how to take part. Every session in the series covers the same core content, then some of the sessions also have a specific focus. Check them out below:
- It’s All Rights: A Guide to the Scottish Human Rights Bill Consultation, Monday 14th August, 2-4pm, Online
- It’s All Rights: A Guide to the Scottish Human Rights Bill Consultation, Wednesday 23rd August, 10am-12noon, Online
- It’s All Rights: The Scottish Human Rights Bill Consultation In-Person Event, Tuesday 29th August, 10:30am-12:30pm, The Albany Centre, 44 Ashley Street Glasgow
- It’s All Rights: The Scottish Human Rights Bill Consultation and the Right to Health, Wednesday 30th August, 2-4pm, Online
- It’s All Rights: The Scottish Human Rights Bill Consultation for UK Organisations, Thursday 7th September, 2-4pm, Online
- It’s All Rights: Poverty and the Scottish Human Rights Bill Consultation, Monday 11th September 2-4pm, Online
- It’s All Rights: Human Rights Bill Consultation with SCVO’s Policy Network, Wednesday 13th September 2:30-4pm, Online
- It’s All Rights: Q&A with the Scottish Government Human Rights Bill Team, Thursday 14th September 2-3:30pm, Online